Thursday, June 7, 2012

ADHD and summer vacation: don't fall into the summer slide

So, it is summer vacation and motivating my ADHD son to do anything but sit around and watch tv is difficult. I have given him a week with no work to do but now it is time to start making sure we don't fall into the summer slide. I find that a schedule is the best way to keep my child in line with the summer expectations. Here is our plan for the summer weekdays:

Summer workbooks for reading and math, 2 pages of each after breakfast.
Computer time: Lakeshore Learning Software and Earobics software
Outside Play
Lunch
Swimming
Blog Entry and quiet journaling time
Dinner
TV time
Reading for 1/2 hour-his choice
1/2 hour cleanup time
Bedtime

The best part of this summer schedule has to be the blog. My son has a bearded dragon that he loves to write about, so we started a blog where he could share his thoughts about his lizard with others. He has started by sharing with family but is starting to get interest from others, this is keeping him excited about it.

This schedule has more purpose than doing homework. My son knows that he will have a great summer where he is ready for the next year and will go in confident and ahead of the game.This also keeps him on a proper sleep schedule which is important for all children, even more important for ADHDers. The schedule is predictable, he knows what comes next and he knows the expectations. This cuts down on the fights, frustrations and struggles that often comes along with these kiddos.

My son is generally very compliant but I know not all ADHDers are so when we hit those walls I give him a break, have him read or offer him a reward for finishing if he is just frustrated. I also give him special rewards "just because" to help keep him going throughout the summer. For example and unexpected day off from work, a trip to the zoo or splashpark etc.

 I hope this helps your summer go well with your children!

Till next time, Christine

p.s. If you want to show my sons blog to your little ones here it is:
www.myadventureswithmax.blogspot.com
It is free and easy!




No comments:

Post a Comment