Sunday, April 8, 2012

Welcome to the ADHD Teacher!

Welcome to my new blog, The ADHD Teacher, I have started this blog as a way to reach parents and teachers with my experiences as an ADHD person and full time Pre-K teacher. I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was 12 years old and struggling in school. My brother who was 6 at the time had also been diagnosed ADHD, my mother decided to have us all tested.

My Mother described me as busy and dramatic, emotional and distracted. I was all of these things and then some. I had tranference issues, low mental energy, mood swings (major), inability to focus, inability to sit still, excessive talking and fidgeting. All of the things you would expect from an ADHD girl and I was truly annoying to everyone, my freinds, my teachers and my parents. I think my Mom just thought I was a normal child until my brother came along.

My brother was uncontrollable from toddler to today, hyperactive, always in trouble and horrible in school. The teachers truly did not know what to do with him. It wasn't until he was diagnosed with ADHD at six and placed on ritalin that he calmed down, but still not enough to make him successful in school. I have often wondered why he is this way, what the teachers could have done differently, what could have helped him to be better.

I blamed the teachers for a long time for his and my failure to do well in school. I often felt misunderstood and picked on by adults because we weren't your typical children. I have come to learn that it is not the teachers, the parents or the kids that determine the success of ADHDers but a combination of the three.

So, on this blog I hope to:

 Encourage teachers to find best practices and teaching strategies to reach these children.

 Encourage parents to hang in there, fight for their children and know there are teachers and administrators who are willing to work hard for the success of all children.

and

Encourage children with ADD/ADHD that they can be successful!

With any luck you will be visiting this sight often for insight and strategies and find yourself encouraged by my words and those who choose to post comments. Please join me on this journey!
Many Blessings,
Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment